Lowville Academy Addition and Alterations
Lowville, New York
Lowville Academy, founded in 1808, serves 1,400 K-12 students in a single building in the Black River Valley between the foothills of the Adirondacks and the Tug Hill Plateau.
As the school celebrated its 200th Anniversary in 2008, it embarked on a major capital improvement campaign.
The first step was to correct the historical appearance and energy efficiency of the 1924 high school wing by replacing windows installed in the 1980s. The old windows had a metal panel above each to deflect sunlight. The new windows are fully-glazed, more effectively regulating temperature transfer while filling the classrooms and offices with bright and refreshing natural light.
Two story academy addition
Next, Mosaic designed a two-story academy addition to the middle school that includes a central administration office, science rooms and academic classrooms. The old gym in the basement was converted into an art room with a mezzanine-style gallery space, accessible by stairway or elevator.
Mosaic also designed infrastructure upgrades to add wired and wireless technology and interactive boards in every classroom. A web based system linked to the local police department monitors the three main entrances and records activity inside and outside of the school.×